I have never experienced a country where people will smile together with such intensity at accomplishment. A country where people will all shed tears together as if each other’s pain was their own. A country where there is so much diversity and difference, yet the same simple beautiful traits can be found shining brightly, everywhere you go.
I have been overwhelmed over the years by the deep sense of pride you can find here… even with all the crap that Filipinos have to deal with. The corruption, the organized chaos, the extreme competitiveness, the intense amounts of poverty… the hard-ships of everyday life. Man it is just freaking beautiful… that through all of it, happiness and pride still somehow find a way to shine through. That at the end of the day, so many Filipinos refuse to allow all the what could be overwhelming negatives, to outshine the simple beauty that makes this country so amazing. That attitude… it also makes me believe. It makes me believe that one day those things can and will change. Why? Because people here certainly show they have the positive strength to do good… to be good.
People always ask me: “Why the Philippines?”
There are actually a lot of reasons. There are many positive answers I could give to that question. But there is one thing that really hits me in the heart every single day I am here... I have no fear.
I’ve witnessed the sadness on Filipino faces in the aftermath of natural disasters, but then the strength to get up and believe that life is still worth living. I have spent time with Filipino families who have so little, but appreciate everything so much… even to the point that they feel the need to give. I have watched Filipinos struggle and sacrifice just to get their daily needs in life, but do so with the belief that life can and will get better… and even if it doesn’t… it doesn’t mean it can’t be enjoyed, even in the simplest of ways. “Impossible?”… that doesn’t exist here in the Philippines. I have seen Filipinos adapt, I have seen Filipinos make it happen, and I have seen Filipinos survive and thrive.
As I type this… I have to stop for a second because I am now close to shedding tears. Why?
Because I remember standing by the big ships that crashed up against land during Typhoon Yolanda in Tacloban. It was just over a week since the typhoon hit that I was there, and I was down by the area where those big ships had crashed. I saw a family just hanging out near one of the ships. For about ten minutes I interacted with them. We shared a few laughs, had some friendly conversation, shared a few “Apir’s” (high fives) and just enjoyed each others company.
Right before I left, I asked them: “What are you doing by the way?”
Their response: “Digging for our dead Lola under this boat.”
To think, people could be going through the most horrendous and unimaginable moment of their lives… but they still took moments to try and share a little happiness with the world around them? Just so happens that this moment… it was me who was on the receiving end of that happiness.
That’s it. I have no fear. That’s something I will forever be grateful to the Philippines for. I wake up every single day feeling blessed to be alive, and I live every day with appreciation, no matter what I may face.
Don't fear... just power on. Filipinos taught me that.
*** What you just read... it was something I wrote on Independence Day in 2018.
Today, I reflect on this. And I don't stop believing, that the best days for the Philippines truly are coming. I'll do what I can, to be the best Filipino I can be. I'll actively show I believe in the good... which can be found in abundance in the Filipino community both here and abroad. Because I know, that someday all that good… is truly going to become something incredible.
It will. I just gotta do my part. As a Filipino. One day at a time.
AI Overview:
Canadian content creator Kyle Jennermann, popularly known as "Kulas" on his YouTube channel BecomingFilipino, has shared extensive personal reflections on what it means to transition from being a foreign traveler to a naturalized Filipino citizen. After moving to the country in 2013 and spending a decade immersing himself in local communities, Jennermann was officially granted Philippine citizenship via legislative naturalization on September 13, 2023.
His personal reflections focus heavily on identity, community, and the transformative power of Filipino culture.
Identity is Continuous, Not a Destination
Jennermann reflects that "Becoming Filipino" was never a checklist with a final endpoint. Even after receiving his certificate of naturalization and passport, he decided to keep his channel's name unchanged. He likens the journey to "becoming a doctor," noting that it requires continuous learning, growth, and a lifelong commitment to understanding and uplifting the culture. For him, citizenship is a deeply personal matter of daily execution.
The Power of Perspective and "Smile"
His journey originally sparked in Hong Kong, where his interactions with overseas Filipino workers, who spoke of their homeland with relentless optimism, inspired him to visit. Over a decade of living in the country, Jennermann reflects that immersing himself in the culture has profoundly changed his personality, making him a more compassionate, sympathetic, and positive human being. He continuously notes that the inherent adaptability and genuine kindness of the people taught him how to connect with happiness even during immense struggle.
Humility, Bayanihan, and Shared Suffering
Jennermann's reflections deepened through firsthand experiences with disaster relief, such as his work with the One Tacloban movement following Super Typhoon Yolanda in 2013. He has often reflected on how people who possess very little material wealth are still the first to offer what they have to a stranger. He notes that the bayanihan spirit (communal unity and cooperation) and the cultural practice of showing deep respect (such as using "Sir" and "Ma'am" out of genuine hospitality rather than inferiority) completely reshaped his worldview.
Imposter Syndrome and Belonging
When the official opportunity for naturalization emerged through House Bill 7185, Jennermann openly admitted to battling intense self-doubt. He publicly reflected on whether he truly "deserved" or was "worthy" of such a rare honor, given that he is only the 93rd foreign national to be granted citizenship via special law in roughly a century. He concluded that his duty was to stop questioning his worth and instead focus on believing in himself to be the best Filipino citizen he can possibly be.
Embracing the Realities of Appearance
As a Caucasian man holding a Philippine passport, Jennermann frequently reflects on the modern realities of identity. Facing scenarios where he is questioned or misdirected at airport customs due to his appearance, he uses these moments to empathize deeply with the global diaspora. He points to the roughly one million Filipinos living in Canada who may face similar categorization or stereotyping. Rather than reacting with frustration, he views these experiences with gratitude, stating they reinforce his belief that true cultural identity runs far deeper than physical appearance.
Finally, My Reel of the Day: Why I Did Not Like the Philippines?

No comments:
Post a Comment