How Old Is Old?
One of the questions I hear most often these days is surprisingly simple:
"How old is old?"
At first glance, it sounds like an easy question. But after living for more than nine decades, I have come to realize that there is no single answer. Age is measured by more than the number of birthdays we celebrate.
When I was a young boy growing up in Iloilo, anyone who reached the age of sixty was already considered old. Hair turned gray, retirement arrived, and grandchildren soon followed. Life expectancy was much shorter then, and reaching seventy was considered a remarkable blessing.
Today, the picture is very different.
Medical advances, better nutrition, improved sanitation, and healthier lifestyles have extended life expectancy around the world. It is no longer unusual to meet people in their eighties who travel, volunteer, play golf, attend college classes, or even begin new careers. Many people in their nineties continue to write books, paint, compose music, and inspire others.
So, how old is old?
Some researchers now describe the "young old" as those between 65 and 74, the "middle old" from 75 to 84, and the "oldest old" as those 85 and above. These are useful categories for demographers and healthcare professionals, but they do not tell the whole story.
I have met people in their sixties who have already given up on life. They have lost their curiosity, enthusiasm, and willingness to learn. In contrast, I have also met people in their nineties who remain intellectually alive, socially engaged, and eager to embrace new ideas.
In my own case, I celebrated my ninety-first birthday last December. I live independently in a senior community in Walnut Creek, California. I continue to write my daily blogs, communicate with readers in more than 150 countries, enjoy Bridge and Mahjong with friends, follow world events, explore artificial intelligence, and remain fascinated by science, history, and culture.
Do I feel old?
Physically, yes. My legs remind me every morning that I have lived a long life. My chronic kidney disease requires discipline and careful management. I walk more slowly than I once did, and I have learned to appreciate the assistance of my quad cane.
But mentally?
I still wake up every morning wondering what new thing I can learn today.
That, I believe, makes all the difference.
I recently read about studies of centenarians in the world's Blue Zones. One of the common traits among those who live exceptionally long lives is not simply a healthy diet or good genes, but an enduring curiosity. They continue asking questions. They remain open to new experiences. They never stop learning.
That finding resonated deeply with me.
When I began blogging in 2009, I never imagined that I would still be writing every day seventeen years later. Nor did I imagine that artificial intelligence would become one of my favorite writing companions. At an age when many assume that technology belongs only to the young, I have discovered that learning has no expiration date.
Perhaps growing older has taught me the greatest lesson of all.
Aging is inevitable.
Growing old is optional.
By that I do not mean we can escape wrinkles, gray hair, or aching joints. None of us can stop the passage of time. Rather, we can choose whether we continue growing as human beings.
We can remain curious.
We can remain grateful.
We can remain kind.
We can continue serving others.
We can continue sharing what we have learned with younger generations.
That is why I have come to believe that old age should not be feared. Instead, it should be respected as a season of wisdom. Every decade brings new lessons. Every challenge teaches resilience. Every loss deepens compassion. Every success becomes an opportunity to encourage others.
The famous American baseball player Satchel Paige once asked, "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
It is a wonderful question.
While none of us can ignore the calendar entirely, we can choose not to let it define our spirit.
So, how old is old?
For me, "old" begins not when the body slows down but when the mind stops growing, the heart stops caring, and hope disappears.
As long as we continue learning, laughing, loving, and contributing to the lives of others, age becomes simply another number—important, yes, but never the final measure of a life well lived.
At ninety-one, I know that I have fewer years ahead than behind me. That reality no longer troubles me. Instead, it reminds me to make each day count—to write one more blog, to learn one more lesson, to encourage one more reader, and to leave behind a legacy that my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and readers around the world can remember.
Perhaps that is the best answer I can offer.
Old is not an age.
Old is the day we stop being curious about tomorrow.
AI Impressions and Comments on this Posting:


No comments:
Post a Comment