WELCOME TO CHATEAU DU MER BEACH RESORT
If this is your first time in my site, welcome! Chateau Du Mer is a beach resort with a beach house and conference Hall. The beach house could now accommodate 10 guests, six in the main floor and four in the first floor( air conditioned room). In addition, you can now reserve your vacation dates ahead and pay the rental fees via PayPal. I hope to see you soon in Marinduque- Home of the Morions and Heart of the Philippines. The photo above was taken during our first Garden Wedding ceremony at The Chateau Du Mer Gardens. You can now read the national and international news in this blog at the right side bar. I have also posted my favorite Filipino and American dishes and recipes in this site. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own, but I have no intention on the infringement of your copyrights!
Thursday, August 28, 2014
Be Proud You are a Pinoy!
I received the following article in my E-mail today. There was no author, but as a Filipino-American, reading this makes me very proud of my ancestry and roots.
WE HAVE TO KNOW THIS AS FILIPINOS. FILIPINOS DESERVE TO KNOW ALL OF THESE AND BE PROUD TO BE A FILIPINO
1. In the Philippines, Filipinos were introduced to the English language in 1762 by British invaders, not Americans.
2. What is the world's 3rd largest English-speaking nation, next to the USA and the UK?.... The Philippines.
3. The USA bought the Philippines, Puerto Rico and Guam from Spain in 1898. Los Angeles, California was co-founded in 1781 by a Filipino named Antonio Miranda Rodriguez, along with 43 Latinos from Mexico sent by the Spanish
4. What antibiotic did Filipino doctor Abelardo Aguilar co-discover? Hint: Brand is Ilosone, named after Iloilo -- Erythromycin.
5. The one-chip video camera was first made by Marc Loinaz, a Filipino inventor from New Jersey.
6. This son of two Filipino physicians scored over 700 on the verbal portion of the Standardized Achievement Test (SAT) before age 13 - Kiwi Danao Camara of Punahou School, Hawaii.
7. Who was the Filipino-American dancer who scored a perfect 1600 on the SAT?.....Joyce Monteverde of California.
8. Who invented the fluorescent lamp? Thomas Edison discovered the electric light bulb and the fluorescent lighting was thought up by Nikola Tesla - a Filipino. But the fluorescent lamp we use today was invented by Agapito Flores (a Cebu man named Benigno Flores of Bantayan Island, according to the Philippine Daily inquirer), a Filipino scientist. Americans helped then-Philippine leader Ramon Magsaysay to develop it for worldwide commerce.
9. Yes! Many foreigners have noted that the Filipino population has Asia's highest rates of inventors and international beauty queens. Two Filipina beauties, Gloria Diaz and Margie Moran, were chosen as Miss Universe in 1969 and 1973.
10. Pure- or part-Filipino celebrities in American showbiz include Von Flores,Tia Carrere, Paolo Montalban, Lea Salonga, Ernie Reyes Jr., Nia Peeples, Julio Iglesias Jr., Enrique Iglesias, Lou Diamond Phillips, Phoebe Cates
and Rob Schneider.
11. The first Filipino act to land a top hit on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart in the 1960s was the group Rocky Fellers of Manila.
12. Sugar Pie de Santo (father was from the Philippines), The Artist formerly known as Prince (according to the October 1984 article "Prince in Exile" by Scott Isler in the magazine Musician), Jaya, Foxy Brown and Enrique Iglesias followed.
13. Besides gracing fashion magazine covers, this international supermodel from Manila had walked the runways since the 1970s for all the major designers, like Calvin Klein, Chanel, Christian Dior, Christian Lacroix,
Donna Karan, Gianni Versace and Yves Saint Laurent - Anna Bayle.
14. Who is the personal physician of former U.S. Pres. Bill Clinton? Eleanor "Connie" Concepcion Mariano, a Filipina doctor who was the youngest captain in the US Navy.
15. Founded in 1595 by Spaniards, the University of San Carlos in Cebu City, Philippines is older than Harvard and is the oldest university in Asia. University of Santo Tomas in Manila, established in 1611, is Asia's second oldest.
16. Who was the first Asian and/or Filipino to snatch America's Pulitzer Prize?- Philippines Herald war journalist Carlos P. Romulo in 1941.(He was also first Asian to become UN President.) The first two Filipino-Americans to garner the same award 56 years later were Seattle Times' Alex Tizon and Byron Acohido, who is part-Korean.
17. Filipino writer Jose Rizal could read and write at age 2, and grew up to speak more than 20 languages, including Latin, Greek, German, French and Chinese. What were his last words? "Consummatum est!"("It is done!")
18. "What's still most impressive to me about the Philippines is the friendliness of the people, their sense of humor." wrote Honolulu journalist John Griffin in a 1998 visit to Manila.
PASS THIS ON TO OTHER FILPINOS/FILIPINAS