WELCOME TO CHATEAU DU MER BEACH RESORT

If this is your first time in my site, welcome! Chateau Du Mer is a beach house and a Conference Hall. The beach house could now accommodate 10 guests, six in the main floor and four in the first floor( air conditioned room). In addition, you can now reserve your vacation dates ahead and pay the rental fees via PayPal. I hope to see you soon in Marinduque- Home of the Morions and Heart of the Philippines. The photo above was taken during our first Garden Wedding ceremony at The Chateau Du Mer Gardens. I have also posted my favorite Filipino and American dishes and recipes in this site. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own, but I have no intention on the infringement of your copyrights!

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands
View of Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands-Click on photo to link to Marinduque Awaits You

Monday, October 22, 2012

Are You Ashamed of Your Filipino Roots?

Be Proud of Your Filipino Ancestry and Roots

When my kids were growing up in the 1970's my wife and I made it sure they know and be proud of their Filipino ancestry ,even though the Philippines is a foreign country to them. We told them that they should work twice as hard as their non-Filipino classmates in school and other activities to be successful. Thus we believe our four children who are now adults and have children of their own are well motivated citizens of the US and have achieved a fairly successful lives and career here in the US. We told them if you know your past you will have no problem seeing your future.

However, I have friends and relatives here in US who are ashamed of their Filipino roots and do not want to be associated with other Filipino Americans. They are not proud of their brown skin and scared to be associated with any thing Filipino or anything about the Philippines. They believe the Philippines is graft ridden, inferior and a third world country, thus they are not advertising their filipino roots. Some of them even deny it.

A good case in point is the recent news about Jessica Sanchez. Sanchez mother hailed from the Philippines and his father has Mexican ancestry. She grew up in San Diego and can not speak Tagalog. Sanchez came to the limelight when she was runner-up in the TV singing show, 2011 American Idol. Just recently the top ten winners of American Idol had just finished a tour in the Philippines.

There was some controversy that Sanchez should not be included in the Filipino Pride list, because she is not a Filipina and do not speak the local language. There was even a rumor, she does not recognized her Filipino-American roots even though her mother came from Bataan province. I believe she does not want to be categorized belonging to an ethnic group of either Filipino or Mexican. I do not know if this rumor is true, but if it is, I feel sorry for her and her mother who had not raised her to be proud of her Filipino ancestry.

Another example is my cousin-in-law. She is a Caucasian woman with English and Irish ancestry. She married my cousin who is a first generation Filipino-American. When my uncle celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in the Philippines, my cousin's wife refused to attend. She believe the Philippines is a jungle and infested with dengue fever causinng mosquitoes and very unsafe to travel. She even refused permission for their four children to travel with my cousin to attend his parents 50th wedding anniversary.

When I informed her that the Manila-Makati area is as modern and traffic congested as Los Angeles or New York City, she just give me a look of disbelief. I told her that the travel advisory is only for southwestern Mindanao. This is an example of the saying that Discrimination is the cause of Ignorance. This was about five years ago, so I hope her pre-conceived idea of the Philippines has changed for the better today.

So, my dear Filipino-Americans whether you are a second, third or fourth generation Filipino-American be proud of your Filipino heritage. The Philippines is not that bad, in spite of its oligarchy, graft and corruption, election dominated by Family Dynasty and almost 20% of it youth are working overseas. The Philippines has beautiful beaches, affordable standard of living and very peaceful and relaxing place for retirement or build your second home in the tropics. It is populated by hospitable people, its women beautiful and all foreigners are generally welcome.

Trip Adviser Review

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews

Beach Wedding at Chateau Du Mer Slide Show

Beach Wedding Slideshow: David’s trip from Citrus Heights, California, United States to Marinduque, Philippines was created by TripAdvisor. See another Marinduque slideshow. Create your own stunning free slideshow from your travel photos.

Travel Site Catalog

Travel Sites Catalog

ABOUT ME

I am a retired (Chemistry Team Leader from USFDA) Filipino-American who loves writing, gardening and photography. My wife (of 58 years) and I enjoy our snowbird lifestyle between the US and the Philippines. We have a small but very private beach resort (above video) in the beautiful island of Marinduque, Philippines. I have several blog sites(ten), a personal blog, blogs about Marinduque and our beach resort and conference center-CHATEAU DU MER. I also write for www.squidoo.com now owned by Hubpages.com

I will appreciate very much any comments on my postings.

Gardens of Chateau Du Mer Slide Show

The Gardens of Chateau du Mer Slideshow: David’s trip from Citrus Heights, California, United States to Marinduque, Philippines was created by TripAdvisor. See another Marinduque slideshow. Create your own stunning free slideshow from your travel photos.

Sunset from CDM Beach Resort

Sunset from CDM Beach Resort
Click on Photo to link to Marinduque Blog

Recent Photos of Orchids in the Gardens of Chateau Du Mer

A dark Yellow Vanda A dark pink Vanda A Small light yellow Phaelonopsis A reddish Vanda A pinkish-white Vanda Another favorite Vanda My twin blue Princess Mikasa One of My Favorite Vanda The above photos are some of the orchids blooming in the gardens of Chateau Du Mer from January to April, 2011. I hope you like them as much as I do! I have a dozen more plants that are blooming, but it will just be too boring to publish them all in this blog. Your comments will be appreciated.

Chateau Du Mer Beach Resort

Chateau Du Mer Beach Resort
Beach House, Boac, Marinduque, Philippines

Blue Orchid - Chateau Du Mer

Blue Orchid - Chateau Du Mer
Princess Mikasa-My Favorite Variety

Chateau Du Mer Beach Resort Logo

Chateau Du Mer Beach Resort Logo
Chateau Du Mer Logo-Click Photo to link to Life in US

Chateau Du Mer Beach Resort

Chateau Du Mer Beach Resort
Beach House and Bridge

Chateau Du Mer Beach Resort and Conference Center

Chateau Du Mer Beach Resort and Conference Center
Conference Center and Multi-Purpose Hall

Chateau Du Mer Beach Resort

Chateau Du Mer Beach Resort
Beach House Balcony at Night

BlogCatalog

Coral Reefs of Amoingon Coast

Coral Reefs of  Amoingon Coast
Click Photo for Link/Details