An Online Memoirist and Cultural Blogger: A Legacy Written One Story at a TimeMacrine (RIP) and I during Our Younger Years
When I published my first blog in 2009, I had no grand vision of becoming an online memoirist or a cultural blogger. Like many first-time writers, I simply wanted to share my thoughts, experiences, and observations with anyone willing to read them.
Seventeen years later, I realize that something much larger has taken shape.
Without consciously planning it, I have spent nearly two decades documenting not only my own life but also the culture, values, and history that shaped me. Thousands of essays later, my blogs have become more than collections of articles. They have become a living memoir and, I hope, a modest contribution to preserving Filipino heritage for future generations.
What Is an Online Memoirist?
Traditionally, memoirs were published as books written near the end of a person's life. They looked backward, reflecting on memorable events and lessons learned.
The Internet changed that. An online memoirist writes life as it unfolds.
Instead of waiting until the final chapter, today's memoirist records the journey while still walking the path. Every post becomes another page in an unfolding autobiography.
Readers witness not only the milestones but also the ordinary moments that often become the most meaningful memories.
I have written about growing up in Iloilo, my education at the University of the Philippines, my immigration to America in 1960, my scientific career, my years with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, raising a family, losing my beloved wife after sixty-three years of marriage, and learning to live alone while still finding joy and purpose.
I have also written about turning ninety-one, living at The Heritage Downtown senior community in Walnut Creek, playing Bridge and Mahjong with friends, adapting to chronic kidney disease, appreciating modern technology, and embracing each new day with gratitude.
Those are not merely stories. Together, they form a digital autobiography.
What Is a Cultural Blogger?
Culture is much more than festivals and folk dances. Culture is how families love.
How communities celebrate. How food is prepared. How history is remembered.
How values are passed from one generation to another.
A cultural blogger helps preserve these traditions by telling stories that might otherwise disappear.
Throughout the years, I have written about Filipino cuisine, family traditions, Philippine history, Filipino-American achievements, music, literature, sports, science, and public service.
I have celebrated the accomplishments of Filipino-Americans who have enriched medicine, education, business, entertainment, and government.
I have written about our national heroes, our traditions, our resilience, and our unique ability to smile despite hardship. Each article has been my way of saying:
"This is who we are."
More Than Personal Memories
Although many of my essays are personal, they are rarely just about me.
When I write about my parents, I honor an entire generation.
When I describe my scientific career, I hope to encourage younger Filipinos to pursue excellence in science.
When I write about growing older, I hope someone facing the same challenges feels less alone.
When I celebrate Filipino food, I celebrate our identity.
When I write about family, I write about love that crosses generations.
Personal stories become universal stories when readers recognize themselves within them.
That is one of the greatest gifts of writing.
Building a Digital Legacy
In earlier centuries, family histories were preserved in handwritten journals, treasured letters, and carefully kept photo albums.
Today, blogs have become modern archives. Unlike boxes hidden in attics, digital stories can be read by people across continents within seconds.
Many of my readers come from the United States, the Philippines, and throughout Asia, but I have also been fortunate to receive visitors from well over 150 countries.
That still amazes me. A story written from my apartment in Walnut Creek can be read a few moments later by someone in Manila, London, Singapore, Sydney, or Toronto.
Technology has transformed one person's memories into a worldwide conversation.
The Responsibility of Truth
Being an online memoirist carries an important responsibility.
Our memories should not simply entertain. They should be honest.
History deserves accuracy. People deserve fairness.
Opinions should be expressed with respect.
Future generations may one day read these writings to understand how ordinary people lived during extraordinary times.
That thought encourages me to write carefully, thoughtfully, and with integrity.
Why I Continue to Write
At ninety-one, many people ask why I continue writing almost every day.
The answer is simple. Writing gives purpose. Writing keeps the mind active.
Writing connects me with readers around the world.
Most importantly, writing allows me to leave something behind that will outlive me.
Buildings eventually disappear. Careers end. Awards gather dust.
But ideas shared with sincerity have a way of continuing long after the author is gone.
If one grandchild someday wonders what his great-grandfather believed...
If one young Filipino-American wishes to understand the sacrifices of earlier immigrants...
If one reader finds hope during a difficult season...
Then every hour spent writing will have been worthwhile.
My Legacy Continues
I no longer think of my blogs as simply articles. I think of them as chapters.
Each one captures a small piece of a life devoted to family, science, service, faith, Filipino pride, and lifelong learning.
Together they tell the story of one immigrant who never forgot where he came from, who embraced the opportunities of America while remaining deeply proud of his Filipino roots, and who believes that every life, no matter how ordinary it may seem is worthy of being remembered.
That, to me, is the true calling of an online memoirist and a cultural blogger.
Not simply to tell one's own story. But to preserve a people's story, one blog post at a time.
- The Bridge Between Generations: Your stories pass down wisdom, recipes, and traditions. This helps younger family members know who they are and where they come from.
- A View of Culture: Your history is social history. Your stories about past jobs, neighborhoods, and traditions tell readers what the world looked and felt like at that specific time.
- Healing: Writing about your life events can reduce stress and help you process past challenges.
- Start Small: Use prompts to jog your memory. Write about a favorite holiday, your first job, or a lesson your grandparents taught you.
- Show, Don't Tell: Instead of simply stating "we were poor," describe the smell of a hot meal or the worn-out shoes you wore. This brings readers into your world.
- Choose Your Platform: You can start your own digital space using free tools like Substack or WordPress.
- Save It for Later: Consider using services like StoryWorth or Memoirist to save your stories, or compile your finished blog posts into a printed book for your bookshelf.
“Their thoughts, their recipes, their poetry. My dear father-in-law writes Urdu poetry; and I, while unable to emulate that great feat, badger him to write his works in one of my diaries. His work, but my diary. His legacy, for me to keep.”
“Legacy memoirs combine personal stories with photographs, letters, and scrapbooks. They serve as a bridge between generations, capturing real-life experiences that foster a profound connection resonating through time.”

No comments:
Post a Comment