WELCOME TO CHATEAU DU MER BEACH RESORT

If this is your first time in my site, welcome! Chateau Du Mer is a beach house and a Conference Hall. The beach house could now accommodate 10 guests, six in the main floor and four in the first floor( air conditioned room). In addition, you can now reserve your vacation dates ahead and pay the rental fees via PayPal. I hope to see you soon in Marinduque- Home of the Morions and Heart of the Philippines. The photo above was taken during our first Garden Wedding ceremony at The Chateau Du Mer Gardens. I have also posted my favorite Filipino and American dishes and recipes in this site. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own, but I have no intention on the infringement of your copyrights!

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands
View of Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands-Click on photo to link to Marinduque Awaits You

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

A Grandfather's Pride: A Reflection on My Youngest Granddaughter, Carenna Katague Thompson

A Grandfather's Pride: A Reflection on My Youngest Granddaughter, Carenna Katague Thompson

As I look at this delightful caricature of my youngest granddaughter, Carenna Katague Thompson, I see much more than a smiling young woman in a white graduation dress adorned with academic honors. I see the continuation of a family legacy built upon education, perseverance, integrity, and love.

This illustration captures Carenna at one of the happiest milestones of her young life. Her warm smile is not merely the smile of someone who has earned a college degree, it is the smile of a young woman whose future is filled with unlimited promise. It reflects quiet confidence, humility, and the excitement of new adventures that lie just ahead.

The white graduation dress symbolizes fresh beginnings. Around her neck hangs a medal of academic achievement, while the colorful honor cords represent the countless hours of study, discipline, sacrifice, and determination that brought her to this moment. Every graduate receives a diploma, but not every graduate earns the distinction that Carenna has achieved through dedication and hard work.

The caricature beautifully surrounds her with symbols that tell the story of who she is. Books, a globe, family photographs, cultural icons, and words of encouragement remind us that education is about much more than earning grades. It is about becoming a compassionate, informed citizen of the world while never forgetting one's roots.

As a Filipino-American grandfather who has always believed that education is life's greatest investment, seeing Carenna graduate from George Washington University last May fills my heart with immeasurable pride. George Washington University is one of our nation's distinguished institutions, located in the heart of our nation's capital, where future leaders are prepared to make meaningful contributions to society.

Yet Carenna's educational journey is only beginning.

This coming Fall, she will begin pursuing her Master's Degree at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, one of America's oldest and most prestigious Ivy League universities. Admission into such an institution is itself a remarkable accomplishment, reflecting not only academic excellence but also exceptional character, leadership potential, and intellectual curiosity.

For me, this next chapter represents something deeply personal.

When I came to America more than six decades ago with little more than my education, determination, and dreams, I believed that future generations of our family would enjoy opportunities far beyond what my own generation could have imagined. Looking at Carenna today, I know those dreams have become reality.

Every generation hopes to leave the next generation standing on higher ground.

Carenna is standing on that higher ground.

What impresses me most, however, is not simply her academic success. It is the grace and humility that continue to define her. Achievement without humility can become arrogance. Achievement accompanied by kindness becomes true leadership. Carenna possesses that rare combination.

The artist also wisely incorporated symbols of family, Filipino heritage, travel, learning, and service. Those are values our family has cherished for generations. They remind us that success should never be measured solely by degrees earned or careers achieved, but also by how one enriches the lives of others.

As a grandfather approaching the twilight years of life, there are few blessings greater than witnessing grandchildren grow into accomplished, compassionate adults. Their successes become our greatest rewards. Their dreams become our legacy.

When I look at Carenna, I see hope. I see resilience. I see intelligence. I see compassion.

Most of all, I see a young woman prepared to make a positive difference wherever life may lead her. Congratulations, Carenna.

Your family celebrates not only what you have already accomplished but also the remarkable future that awaits you. We know that your years at the University of Pennsylvania will open even more doors of opportunity, and we have every confidence that you will walk through them with the same grace, determination, and excellence that brought you this far.

As your grandfather, words alone cannot fully express how proud I am.

May God continue to bless your journey, guide your decisions, and keep your heart humble as your horizons grow ever wider.

The future is indeed bright. And for this proud grandfather, watching you succeed is one of life's greatest joys.

Additional AI Impressions on this Posting:
 
It has been a privilege to help you celebrate your family through these caricatures and accompanying tributes. One thing that stands out across all of them is that they are more than descriptions of individual accomplishments-they collectively tell the story of a family that has placed education, public service, compassion, and perseverance at the center of its legacy.

Carenna's story is especially inspiring because it represents the next generation carrying that legacy forward. Graduating from George Washington University and continuing on to the University of Pennsylvania is an extraordinary achievement, but what came through most strongly in your description was not simply her academic success. It was your admiration for the thoughtful, kind, and grounded young woman she has become.

As someone who has spent decades writing for readers around the world, you have a gift for connecting personal stories with universal themes. I hope this tribute reflects that voice-a grandfather who measures success not only by diplomas and honors, but by character, humility, and the opportunities each generation creates for the next.

Taken together, the tributes you've written for Macrine, David, Dodie, Dinah, Ditas, and now Carenna are becoming something even more meaningful: a written family legacy. Years from now, your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren will be able to read these essays and hear your voice speaking directly to them. That is a remarkable gift to leave behind.

Thank you for allowing me to be a small part of preserving that legacy. It has been an honor to help you tell your family's story. May God continue to bless you, your children, your grandchildren including Carenna as she begins her studies at Penn this fall and your growing family for generations to come.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...