WELCOME TO CHATEAU DU MER BEACH RESORT

If this is your first time in my site, welcome! Chateau Du Mer is a beach house and a Conference Hall. The beach house could now accommodate 10 guests, six in the main floor and four in the first floor( air conditioned room). In addition, you can now reserve your vacation dates ahead and pay the rental fees via PayPal. I hope to see you soon in Marinduque- Home of the Morions and Heart of the Philippines. The photo above was taken during our first Garden Wedding ceremony at The Chateau Du Mer Gardens. I have also posted my favorite Filipino and American dishes and recipes in this site. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own, but I have no intention on the infringement of your copyrights!

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands
View of Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands-Click on photo to link to Marinduque Awaits You

Friday, October 9, 2026

Filipino Food: A Feast for the Eyes, the Heart, and the Palate

Filipino Food: A Feast for the Eyes, the Heart, and the Palate

Many people think that the secret to great food is taste alone. I have come to believe that our eyes take the first bite. A beautifully plated dish builds anticipation, honors the cook, and elevates even the humblest meal. Filipino cuisine, with its vibrant colors and rich traditions, deserves to be presented with the same pride as any Michelin-starred cuisine.

For many years, I believed that the true measure of a great meal was its taste. Flavor was everything. A perfectly seasoned Adobo, a rich bowl of Kare-Kare, or a comforting serving of Sinigang could instantly transport me back to my childhood in the Philippines.

As I grew older, however, and especially during my food journeys throughout California and beyond, I discovered another important ingredient in every memorable meal presentation.

We eat first with our eyes.

Before the first bite reaches our lips, our eyes judge the colors, textures, arrangement, and even the choice of the plate. A beautifully presented dish awakens curiosity and anticipation. It tells us that the chef cares not only about cooking but also about creating an experience.

This realization has changed the way I look at Filipino food.

For too long, Filipino cuisine has been known primarily for its hearty flavors and generous portions. While those qualities remain our greatest strengths, I believe our cuisine deserves to be appreciated for its beauty as well.

Take Adobo, our unofficial national dish. Instead of simply serving chicken and pork in a bowl, imagine carefully arranging the tender meat over fragrant garlic rice, garnished with crispy fried garlic, scallions, and a delicate drizzle of its rich sauce. Suddenly, a familiar comfort food becomes worthy of a fine dining table.


The same can be said of Kare-Kare. Its golden peanut sauce, bright green vegetables, vibrant orange shrimp paste on the side, and tender oxtail create a colorful canvas. With thoughtful plating, Kare-Kare becomes as visually impressive as it is delicious.


Even humble Pancit Canton comes alive when crowned with fresh vegetables, shrimp, sliced chicken, calamansi wedges, and carefully arranged boiled eggs. 


Lumpia looks irresistible standing upright in a basket instead of lying flat on a plate. Lechon Kawali becomes a work of art when accompanied by colorful pickled vegetables and artistically drizzled liver sauce.

The ingredients have not changed. Only the presentation.

During the past several years, I have had the privilege of dining at many outstanding restaurants, including several with Michelin recognition. One lesson stands out from every memorable meal: great chefs are artists. Every plate is carefully composed with balance, color, texture, and harmony.

That philosophy should inspire Filipino chefs everywhere.

Fortunately, a new generation of Filipino-American chefs is embracing this challenge. They are proudly introducing our traditional dishes to international audiences while presenting them with elegance and creativity. They are proving that Filipino cuisine belongs alongside the world's finest culinary traditions, not by changing its soul, but by showcasing it with confidence and refinement.

Food presentation is not about making portions smaller or adding unnecessary decoration.

It is about respect. Respect for the ingredients. Respect for the cook. Respect for our culinary heritage.

Most importantly, respect for the guest who is about to enjoy the meal.

As someone who has spent years writing about food, I have learned another valuable lesson. Good food deserves good photography. A well-composed photograph preserves the artistry of the dish and invites readers from around the world to experience our cuisine. Every blog post I write about Filipino food begins with an attractive photograph because visual appeal sparks curiosity long before words can describe flavor.

Today, social media has made food presentation even more important. A beautiful plate can travel across continents with a single click. It becomes an ambassador of our culture, encouraging people who have never tasted Filipino food to seek out a local Filipino restaurant.

As a proud Filipino-American who has lived in the United States for more than six decades, I have watched Filipino cuisine steadily gain international recognition. I have no doubt that its future is even brighter. Our flavors have always been extraordinary. Our chefs are becoming more creative. Our restaurants are attracting worldwide attention.

Now it is our responsibility to present our culinary treasures with the elegance they deserve.

The next time you prepare Adobo, Sinigang, Pancit, Lumpia, Lechon, or Halo-Halo, spend an extra minute arranging the dish with care.

You may discover what the world's finest chefs have known all along.

A beautiful plate does not change the flavor. It changes the experience.

And sometimes, that makes all the difference.


Personal Note: Californios listed Beef Tongue in their Tasting Menu. I wonder if it is similar to my Favorite Filipinos dish ( Macrine's favorite dish). Lengua Estofado. It is the dish in our household that we devour on Special Occasions. If cooked properly, the meat just melt in your mouth. Here are 2 photos. Incidentally, this dish is on TROPA restaurant (Lafayette) Menu and I have ordered it before.

          
My Reel of the Day_ Filipino Food- Kamayan -Boodle Fight 

https://www.facebook.com/reel/952523447627349

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...