WELCOME TO CHATEAU DU MER BEACH RESORT

If this is your first time in my site, welcome! Chateau Du Mer is a beach house and a Conference Hall. The beach house could now accommodate 10 guests, six in the main floor and four in the first floor( air conditioned room). In addition, you can now reserve your vacation dates ahead and pay the rental fees via PayPal. I hope to see you soon in Marinduque- Home of the Morions and Heart of the Philippines. The photo above was taken during our first Garden Wedding ceremony at The Chateau Du Mer Gardens. I have also posted my favorite Filipino and American dishes and recipes in this site. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own, but I have no intention on the infringement of your copyrights!

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands
View of Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands-Click on photo to link to Marinduque Awaits You

Friday, October 9, 2026

From Adobo to Michelin Stars:

From Adobo to Michelin Stars: Why Immigrant Food Memories Matter

4

Watching the premiere of the new CBS cooking competition America’s Culinary Cup, I was struck by the incredible sophistication of the dishes being prepared. The chefs spoke about technique, balance, and presentation with the seriousness of scientists. Many of them trained in elite kitchens, earned Michelin Guide stars, or won prestigious awards.

And yet, while watching all this culinary brilliance, my mind drifted back to something much simpler: a pot of Filipino adobo simmering in the kitchen.

I am not what you would call a culinary expert or food faddist. I don’t chase the latest restaurant trends or worry about plating techniques. But like many immigrants, my relationship with food is deeply emotional. Food is memory. Food is identity. Food is home.


The Taste of Home

For many Filipinos, Adobo is more than just a dish. It is practically a national symbol.

Adobo is simple but deeply satisfying:

  • Chicken or pork

  • Soy sauce

  • Vinegar

  • Garlic

  • Bay leaves

  • Peppercorns

Slowly simmered together, the flavors become rich, tangy, and comforting. When served over steaming white rice, it becomes the kind of meal that nourishes both body and soul.

When I immigrated from the Philippines to the United States in the early 1960s as a graduate student, life was full of challenges—new language nuances, new customs, new expectations. But whenever I encountered the familiar flavors of Filipino cooking, I felt grounded again.

Food became a quiet reminder that my roots were still with me, even thousands of miles away.


From Humble Kitchens to Global Recognition

Shows like America’s Culinary Cup highlight the world of fine dining, where chefs pursue perfection in taste and presentation. Restaurants compete for recognition from institutions like the Michelin Guide, which awards its famous stars to exceptional restaurants.

In that world, dishes are often:

  • Highly technical

  • Beautifully plated

  • Inspired by global ingredients

  • Refined through years of training

These chefs deserve admiration. Their work is artistry.

But there is another kind of culinary tradition that rarely appears in these competitions: the cooking of immigrant kitchens.

These are the dishes learned not in culinary school but from parents and grandparents. They are passed down through memory rather than written recipes.


The Power of Immigrant Food

One of the beautiful things about America is that it has become a global kitchen.

Immigrants have introduced countless beloved foods:

  • Italian pasta and pizza

  • Chinese stir-fries

  • Mexican tacos

  • Vietnamese pho

  • Filipino adobo and pancit

What once started in family kitchens has gradually entered the mainstream. Today, many chefs proudly elevate their heritage cuisine into fine dining.

In fact, some Michelin-recognized restaurants now serve dishes inspired by immigrant traditions. What was once considered “home cooking” is now being celebrated as culinary heritage.


Food as a Story of Identity



4

For immigrants like me, food carries something deeper than flavor.

It carries history.

A single dish can evoke:

  • Childhood memories

  • Family gatherings

  • Holidays and celebrations

  • The feeling of belonging

When I watch chefs competing on television, I admire their creativity and skill. But I also remember that behind every sophisticated dish there was probably once a simple family recipe that inspired that chef to begin cooking in the first place.

Even the most celebrated chef somewhere had a “home dish” that shaped their palate.


From Adobo to Michelin Stars

The journey from a humble pot of adobo to the refined plates of Michelin-starred restaurants represents something larger than food.

It represents the immigrant journey itself.

We begin with the traditions we bring from home. Over time those traditions mix with new experiences, new cultures, and new opportunities. Something new emerges.

Just as cuisines evolve, so do the lives of immigrants.


Final Reflection

Watching America’s Culinary Cup reminded me of the extraordinary heights culinary art can reach. But it also reminded me that the heart of cooking often begins in the simplest places: a family kitchen, a cherished recipe, and a memory of home.

No matter how sophisticated the dishes become, I suspect many of those talented chefs would still smile at the taste of something familiar from childhood.

For me, that dish will always be adobo served with rice—simple, comforting, and forever connected to where I began.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...